If your engine is starting but then shutting off check for these issues:
- Check gas and oil: If water has gotten into the gas the engine will fire, run briefly, but shutdown when water enters the carburetor. If water is present in the gas, it will bead at the bottom of the tank. If water has gotten into the carburetor and/or gas tank it needs to be removed.
- A bad spark plug or loose plug wire will prevent the engine from running.
- A clogged or wet air filter will shut the engine down.
- Check the stop switch, a failed switch will prevent the engine from running.
- A tripped oil guard sensor (9hp Vanguard equipped units only)
- The throttle cable is grounding to the engine’s stop terminal
- Carburetor needs replaced or repaired